MainStage has a awesome plugin that instantly opens up a huge array of tone-shaping possibilities called Pedalboard. Here’s how to use this powerful plugin:
1. Open MainStage, and create a patch (for demonstration purposes, I’m going to use an electric piano patch, but any patch will work).
2. In the “Audio FX” part of the channel strip, go to amps and pedals>pedalboard. The plugin window should open automatically.
3. On the RH corner of the plugin you should see all of your pedal options. You can use as many as you like by simply dragging and dropping them into the “pedalboard” part of the plugin window.
4. Let’s start off by dragging in the “Double Dragon” pedal on to the pedalboard. This will give our sound a crunched biting sound.
5. Let’s add a “Blue Echo” pedal to add some delay. Again, just drag and drop it into the pedalboard section of the plugin window.
6. To give it an indie vibe, I’ll put a “Spring Box” reverb at the end of my signal chain.
Viola! Instant tone shaping possibilities. Tweak the knobs to dial in some fascinating sounds, and go crazy adding in other pedals. To get extra creative, map the knobs to your midi controller, and you’ll be able to create some amazing soundscapes in real time.